UC welcomes prospective students from all over the world.

Because these applicants have completed part — or all — of their college or university work in another country, their academic records may contain both U.S. and international credentials.

Academic records

Students who accept an offer of admission to UC must provide official academic records from all postsecondary institutions they attended. Some campuses may also request a secondary school academic record beginning with the ninth grade.

Because it can take a substantial amount of time to obtain records from schools outside the United States, applicants should have legible photocopies of their official international academic records. After students submit applications, they should be prepared to send these copies to the Office of Admissions upon their request. Official academic records will be required at the campus the student elects to attend.

The official record must list the titles of courses and examinations the student completed, the grades (marks) earned, the dates attended and any degree or diploma earned.

We recognize that it may be difficult to obtain international records in the event of political upheaval or natural disaster. However, these situations are rare. Failure to provide official records may jeopardize a student's enrollment at UC.

Evaluation of secondary school coursework for transfer credit

In most cases, UC does not grant transfer credit for secondary level certificates or diplomas. Credit is given for GCE and Singapore-Cambridge (H2) Advanced level (A level) exams passed with a grade of A, B or C. No credit is awarded for the International A level (IAL) exams.


Students must submit certified translations of all international college/university records that are not issued in English. We accept English-language translations provided by international universities or those performed by certified translators with knowledge of educational records and terminology.

If a campus requests secondary school records, those records generally do not need to be translated unless they are in a language with an alphabet other than the Roman alphabet. In that case, official translations are required.

Determining transferability

Each UC campus has international admission specialists to evaluate international academic records and to determine transferability of international coursework. They are knowledgeable about the different grading systems and methods of reporting coursework in other countries — and they are prepared and happy to provide general advice.

However, keep in mind they cannot provide formal evaluations for students before they apply. Once a student has been admitted to a campus and has accepted the offer of admission, the campus will then complete the formal evaluation.

Course descriptions

The admissions office may need descriptions of college/university coursework to determine course content and verify that the student has completed required preparatory coursework for the major or college. Many international universities can provide translations in English. If a university cannot, we'll accept a student translation.

UC does not use course evaluations provided by professional credential evaluation agencies. All course evaluations are performed by our international admission specialists.

Use of agents

The University does not partner with agents for the purpose of representing the University for undergraduate student recruitment or to administer any part of the undergraduate admission application process. The University does not endorse the engagement of agents or private organizations for the purpose of recruiting or enrolling international students for undergraduate degree programs. Agents who may be retained by students to help with the application process for undergraduate degree programs are not recognized as representatives of the University and do not have a contractual agreement or partnership to represent the University of California.

The University expects all applicants to complete their own application materials as the use of agent services is not aligned with the University’s Statement of Application Integrity or the expectations explained as a part of applying for undergraduate admission to any of the University campuses.

The application

Scholastic information

On the undergraduate application, students must list all institutions attended, including any secondary schools and colleges/universities outside the United States, even if the student satisfied or plans to satisfy the UC admission requirements with only U.S. coursework.

Academic history

Transfer applicants must list hours, credits or units for coursework as noted on their international academic records if their coursework is not reported as quarter or semester units, and record the marks/grades earned exactly as reported by the international school — whether as numbers, letters, percentages or words. Students should not attempt to interpret their grades to the U.S. letter-grade system; our international specialists are familiar with grading systems around the world and will interpret the grades appropriately.

English language proficiency requirement

Transfer applicants who have completed all or part of their secondary/high school or college/university education in a country where English is not the language of instruction may be required to demonstrate English proficiency. Review the English proficiency requirement for international students »