UC welcomes prospective students from all over the world.

Because these applicants have completed part — or all — of their high school or secondary school in another country, their academic records may contain both U.S. and international credentials.

Academic records

Students who accept an offer of admission to UC must provide official academic records from all institutions they attended beginning with the ninth grade.

Because it can take a substantial amount of time to obtain records from schools outside the United States, applicants should have legible photocopies of their official international academic records. After students submit applications, they should be prepared to send these copies to the Office of Admissions upon their request. Official academic records will be required at the campus the student elects to attend.

The official record must list the titles of courses and examinations the student completed, the grades (marks) earned, the dates attended and any degree or diploma earned.

We recognize that it may be difficult to obtain international records in the event of political upheaval or natural disaster. However, these situations are rare. Failure to provide official records may jeopardize a student's enrollment at UC.

Evaluation of secondary school coursework for transfer credit

In most cases, UC does not grant transfer credit for secondary level certificates or diplomas. Credit is given for GCE and Singapore-Cambridge (H2) Advanced Level (A level) exams passed with a grade of A, B or C. No credit is awarded for the International A level (IAL) exams.


Secondary school records generally do not need to be translated unless they are issued in a language with an alphabet other than the Roman alphabet. In that case, official translations are required.

Students must submit certified translations of all international college/university records that are not issued in English. We accept English-language translations provided by international universities or those performed by certified translators with knowledge of educational records and terminology.

Use of agents

The University does not partner with agents for the purpose of representing the University for undergraduate student recruitment or to administer any part of the undergraduate admission application process. The University does not endorse the engagement of agents or private organizations for the purpose of recruiting or enrolling international students for undergraduate degree programs. Agents who may be retained by students to help with the application process for undergraduate degree programs are not recognized as representatives of the University and do not have a contractual agreement or partnership to represent the University of California.

The University expects all applicants to complete their own application materials as the use of agent services is not aligned with the University’s Statement of Application Integrity or the expectations explained as a part of applying for undergraduate admission to any of the University campuses.

The application

Scholastic information

On the undergraduate application, students must list all institutions attended, including any schools outside the United States, beginning with the ninth grade, even if the student satisfied or plans to satisfy the UC admission requirements with only U.S. coursework.


Academic history

Students who attended school outside the United States should report their international coursework and grades/marks in the academic history section of the online undergraduate application to the best of their ability, following the instructions provided. They should list all courses attempted and record the grades/marks earned exactly as reported by the international school — whether as numbers, letters, percentages or words.


Freshman applicants

Prospective freshmen who took any external examinations in secondary school (such as GCE Advanced Level, I/GCSE, ICSE, ISC, AISSC or Matriculation Examinations) should list the subjects and marks earned in the examinations rather than the marks assigned by each teacher at the end of the course. External exams should also be reported in the International Exams page of the Test Score section of the application.


English language proficiency requirement

Freshman applicants who have completed all of their secondary/high school education in a country where English is not the language of instruction must demonstrate English proficiency. Review the English proficiency requirement for international students »

Freshman applicants who have completed some high school or secondary school in a country where English was not the language of instruction may also be required to demonstrate English proficiency.