Transfer credit

If you plan ahead, you may be able to graduate two years after you transfer to UC. The key is making sure you’re taking courses that meet minimum transfer, major and general education requirements. 

Did you know?

  • Every California community college has an agreement with UC called the transfer course agreement (TCA). The TCA specifies which courses can earn UC credit.

  • Your community college may have an additional agreement with UC about transferable courses. Check with your college.

Limits on transfer credits

UC will only accept 70 semester (105 quarter) units of credit for lower-division coursework completed at any non-UC schools. 

See UC's Statement of Transfer Credit Practices 

Military coursework 

There are special rules governing how UC awards credit for courses provided by the U.S.  military. Here are some things to keep in mind if you’ve taken military coursework.

  • UC may award transfer credit for some of your military courses if the content was equivalent to a course taught at the University. You cannot use this credit, however, toward meeting minimum admission requirements.

  • If you are an active-duty service member or a veteran, and you’ve completed courses provided by the military (not courses completed at a collegiate institution), you should make sure to include this information on your UC application.

  • You should be prepared to submit an official military transcript (e.g. SMART, AARTS, etc.) after you enroll at UC.