Living accommodations

A variety of housing options are available to UC students, but some require that you apply early.

UC operates residence halls for single students on all campuses. Married students may find housing in UC apartments, but these accommodations are limited in number and require very early application. Students accompanied by their spouses will find the cost of housing to be substantially higher.

Other types of housing are also available. At most campuses, students live in private homes, apartments and rooming houses. Many students live with other students and share expenses.

See the cost difference between living on- and off-campus »

Student cooperatives are operated on a few campuses — in these, students work a few hours a week in exchange for room and board at a lower cost. In some cases, students may need working permits to live in cooperatives.

The Berkeley and San Diego campuses each have an International House, a residence for international and U.S. students interested in living in a multicultural environment.

The housing office on each campus can provide you with complete information about UC and private housing. Admission to UC does not guarantee your assignment to on-campus housing. If you want to live on campus, you should apply for UC housing within the specified deadlines at each campus.

Student housing by campus