Other types of transfers

Not a California Community College student? Don’t worry, there are other transfer paths to UC.

At UC, junior-level transfers from California community colleges are our highest priority, but if you’re a student at another college, or hoping to transfer as a freshman or sophomore, we have some additional guidance for you.

Transferring from a four-year (or out-of-state two-year) institution

You can transfer to UC from a four-year or a non-California two-year institution. You should complete your transfer application following the instructions, but there are a few things to keep in mind:

  • Even if you’re transferring from a four-year school or an out-of-state two-year institution, you'll still need to meet the same minimum admissions requirements as California community college students.

  • Do as much preparation for your major as possible. 

  • Find out if your courses will transfer to UC. Compare them to similar courses in a UC campus catalog or to a transfer course agreement (TCA) that UC has with any California community college.

  • A formal evaluation of your coursework most likely will not take place until after you have applied.

See UC's Statement of Transfer Credit Practices for more information

Lower-division transfers

Some campuses admit a limited number of transfer students before they reach junior standing. You’ll need to check the website of the UC campus you’re considering to learn if they will accept applications from lower-division transfers.

Returning to your previous UC campus

If you were previously enrolled at a UC campus in a regular academic term (fall, winter, and/or spring) and would like to return to the same UC campus, you must contact the Registrar’s Office and follow specific re-enrollment procedures.

The process may be called “readmission”, “re-enrollment”, or “reinstatement.” You should not submit a UC application if you are seeking readmission. Instead, you must file paperwork for readmission with the Registrar’s Office at your former UC campus.

If you left your previous UC campus on academic probation or not in good academic standing (last term and/or a cumulative UC GPA below 2.00) and wish to return to the same UC campus, you must contact an advisor in the school/college where you were previously enrolled. The advisor will be able to provide guidance about the requirements for readmission.

Transferring to a different UC campus

If you want to transfer to a different UC campus, there are a few things you need to know:  

  • You must be in good academic standing (last term and/or cumulative UC GPA of 2.00 or above) at your prior UC campus to be considered for transfer admission, even if that UC campus is not your last school of attendance.

  • All courses completed, and grades and units earned at a UC campus during fall, winter, spring, and summer terms are transferable to another UC campus (however, some UC Extension courses may not be transferable). This means the UC GPA "follows" you to another UC campus.

Second baccalaureate and limited status

You are a second baccalaureate applicant if you’re a college graduate who wants to obtain a second bachelor's degree with a different major from your first degree.

You are a limited status applicant when you are a non-degree-seeking student. Limited status applicants are held to the same restrictions as applicants pursuing a second B.A. or B.S. degree. 

You’ll need to check the website of the UC campus you’re considering to learn if they will accept applications from second bachelor’s degree or limited status applicants.