What’s IGETC?

The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is a series of courses that California community college students can complete to satisfy most freshman/sophomore-level general education requirements before transferring to UC.

If you choose to follow IGETC in order to transfer to UC, you’ll want to:

  • Check with your transfer advisor to make sure your courses satisfy IGETC requirements.

  • Complete all the IGETC courses before you transfer. Otherwise, you'll need to satisfy the specific freshman/sophomore-level general education requirements of your UC college or school.

IGETC subject and unit requirement

Subject area

Required courses

Units required

1. English Communication

One course in English composition and one course in critical thinking/English composition. 

2 courses

6 semester units or 8-10 quarter units

2. Mathematical Concepts and Quantitative Reasoning

1 course

3 semester units or 4-5 quarter units

3. Arts and Humanities

Three courses with at least one from the arts and one from the humanities

3 courses

9 semester units or 12-15 quarter units

4. Social and Behavioral Sciences

Three courses from at least two disciplines, or an interdisciplinary sequence

3 courses

9 semester units or 12-15 quarter units

5. Physical and Biological Sciences

One physical science course and one biological science or course, at least one of which includes a laboratory

2 courses

7-9 semester units or 9-12 quarter units

6. Language Other than English *

Proficiency equivalent to two years of high school courses in the same language.




11 courses*

34 semester units



IGETC for STEM is a pattern of courses currently only available to students earning an associate degree for transfer (ADT) at a California community college in a major that offers IGETC for STEM as an option.

Learn more about IGETC for STEM »

GPA requirement

Your courses will count towards IGETC if you get grades of a C or better. A grade of Credit or Pass will also count if the community college's policy states it is equivalent to a grade of C or better.

Using AP exams to meet IGETC

You can fulfill IGETC course requirements with some AP exam scores.

  • IGETC course credit may be earned for scores of 3, 4 or 5 on specific AP exams.

  • A score of 3, 4, or 5 on an English AP exam may be used to meet the English Composition requirement (IGETC Area 1A), but not the Critical Thinking/English Composition requirement (IGETC Area 1B).

Learn more about AP exams and the IGETC »

Taking IGETC courses at more than one community college

You don’t have to complete your IGETC coursework all at the same California community college. Courses taken at more than one college may be used to fulfill IGETC, but there are some restrictions.

Coursework may only be applied in the area or category it was approved for in the IGETC agreement at the community college where it was completed.

What if I don’t complete IGETC?

Even if you don’t complete all IGETC requirements, some California community colleges may grant partial IGETC certification to students missing no more than two requirements. Here are a few things to keep in mind: 

  • Certification of IGETC completion is the responsibility of the last California community college you attend.

  • Students should verify that their UC school/college/major program will accept partial certification.

If you submit a partial IGETC certification, you’ll need to meet with a counselor in your UC college or school to determine how you will complete the missing courses. Students who have been granted partial IGETC certification should not return to the community college for a full certification.