Preparing to transfer

There are some minimum academic requirements for applying to UC. Make sure you understand these—they’re a critical step on your path to studying with us.

General education requirements & IGETC

General education

General education requirements (sometimes called breadth requirements) are designed to give you a broad base of knowledge.

You don’t need to complete your requirements before you transfer. But it's a good idea to start working on them while you’re still at a community college.

General education requirements »


For some majors and campuses, you can take a complete set of general education courses through the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum. (You can see why we just call it ‘IGETC’.)

About IGETC »

Major preparation

Decided on your UC major? Great. Use the ASSIST tool to help you find community college courses that will transfer to UC.


Transfer GPA

UC campuses will use your grade point average to make sure you’re adequately prepared for their courses. 

Work out your transfer GPA »

Transferring if you’re not at a California community college

You don’t have to go to a California community college to transfer to UC. We’ll support you wherever you’re coming from. Just make sure you learn all about the special requirements and guidelines for your path to us.

Transfer credit

Made it to UC? First of all, congratulations! Secondly, make sure you get credit for all your work on your community college courses. This will help you graduate on time with all your classes accounted for.