Student visa (F-1)

If you are coming to the United States with the primary purpose of enrolling full time in a program of study, and your funding is from private family sources, this is likely the visa you should use.

To apply for this visa, you must:

  • decide which UC campus you plan to attend
  • check with the consulate regarding their visa application procedures
  • present to the U.S. consul a Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility from the campus you wish to attend
  • provide documentation that you have sufficient financial resources
  • present your letter of admission
  • show proof of payment of the SEVIS fee

It may also be helpful to present a copy of your TOEFL score report, proof of professional and/or economic ties that would compel you to return to your home country and any forms or materials that document your previous studies in the United States.

Undergraduate students holding this visa must carry at least 12 units of coursework each quarter or semester. The accompanying spouse or child (under 21 years of age) of an F-1 student enters the United States on an F-2 Dependent visa. F-1 students are permitted to work part time on campus. F-2 visa holders are not permitted to accept employment.