Exchange visitor visa

This visa is most frequently used by students who are financially supported by government agencies, foundations, organizations or universities.

If you have been offered a fellowship or other award covering your educational expenses, consult the International Student Advisor on the campus where you will enroll to determine your eligibility to apply for the J-1 visa.

If you qualify, the Form DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility will be sent to you. To apply for a visa, you will need to present to a U.S. embassy or consulate:

  • Form DS-2019
  • evidence of financial resources
  • letter of admission
  • SEVIS fee payment
  • related materials

J-1 Exchange Visitor students may seek work authorization for part-time employment from their International Student Advisors. J-2 Dependents may apply to the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service after arrival in the United States for authorization to accept employment.