UC graduation requirements

All UC students must satisfy certain requirements before they can receive their undergraduate degree. Good news: Some of these requirements can be met during high school.

Entry Level Writing Requirement

As a UC undergraduate, you must demonstrate proficiency in writing. You can learn more about how to demonstrate proficiency and meet this requirement on the Entry Level Writing Requirement website

American History and Institutions Requirement

All undergraduate degree programs at UC require study in American History and Institutions. This requirement may be met through examination or enrollment in specific courses. Each campus decides how its students may meet the requirement.

Many students fulfill this requirement before entering college by completing a one-year high school course in U.S. history or a half-year course in U.S. history and a half-year course in American government. (This satisfies this requirement at all UC campuses except UC Santa Barbara, which requires students to complete a college-level course. At UCLA, students may complete the course(s) in high school, but must have earned a B average or better.)