The Marlan and Rosemary Bourns College of Engineering

It is strongly recommended that applicants complete the SAT Subject Test in Mathematics Level 2 and the specific laboratory science examination closest to the intended major. Freshman applicants should be prepared to take calculus at enrollment.

Applicants to the combined B.S./M.S. five-year programs for Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Engineering or Mechanical Engineering must have a high school GPA above 3.61 and SAT Reasoning Test combined score above 1,900, and must satisfy the Entry Level Writing Requirement before enrollment. Students must be prepared for Math 9A or higher.

Contact: Student Academic Affairs Office, The Marlan and Rosemary Bourns College of Engineering, (951) UCR-ENGR (827-3647).

College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences (CNAS)

All incoming CNAS freshmen who are not exempt must take the Mathematics Advisory Examination (MAE) prior to orientation. Students whose MAE scores indicate the need for additional work in intermediate algebra will be placed into UC Riverside's Intermediate Algebra Workshop (IAW); these students must complete the course prior to enrolling in any science or math courses required for CNAS majors. Students may enroll in the IAW intermediate algebra course at UC Riverside during the summer prior to or during their first fall quarter at UCR. Students who pass this course with a sufficiently high grade will be advised to enroll in Math 8A for the following quarter at UC Riverside. Students who fail to complete this course with a sufficiently high grade will not be able to continue as CNAS students. For more information, visit http://cnas.ucr.edu/.

Students who place in but do not plan to complete the Intermediate Algebra Workshop by the end of their first quarter of enrollment at UC Riverside should file a Change of Major Petition to an appropriate, non-calculus-requiring major in the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences or petition the CNAS associate dean of student academic affairs to remain in CNAS under special circumstances.

Contact: College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, 1223 Pierce Hall, (951) 827-7294.