International academic records

UC welcomes prospective students from all over the world.

Because these applicants have completed part — or all — of their high school or college work in another country, their academic records may contain both U.S. and international credentials.

Academic records

Students who accept an offer of admission to UC must provide official academic records from all institutions they attended beginning with the ninth grade.

Because it can take a substantial amount of time to obtain records from schools outside the United States, applicants should have legible photocopies of their official international academic records. After students submit applications, they should be prepared to send these copies to the Office of Admissions upon their request. Official academic records will be required at the campus the student elects to attend.

The official record must list the titles of courses and examinations the student completed, the grades (marks) earned, the dates attended and any degree or diploma earned.

We recognize that it may be difficult to obtain international records in the event of political upheaval or natural disaster. However, these situations are rare. Failure to provide official records may jeopardize a student's enrollment at UC.

Evaluation of secondary school coursework for advanced credit

In most cases, UC does not grant advanced standing credit for secondary level certificates or diplomas. Credit is given for GCE and Singapore-Cambridge (H2) Advanced-Level exams passed with a grade of A, B or C. No credit is awarded for the International A-level (IAL) exams.


Secondary school records generally do not need to be translated unless they are in a language with an alphabet other than the Roman alphabet. In that case, official translations are required.

Students must submit certified translations of all international college/university records that are not issued in English. We accept English-language translations provided by international universities or those performed by certified translators with knowledge of educational records and terminology.

Determining transferability

Each UC campus has international admission specialists to evaluate international academic records and to determine transferability of international coursework. They are knowledgeable about the different grading systems and methods of reporting coursework in other countries — and they are prepared and happy to provide general advice. 

However, keep in mind they cannot provide formal evaluations for students before they apply. Once a student has been admitted to a campus and has accepted the offer of admission, the campus will then complete the formal evaluation.

Course descriptions

The admissions office may need descriptions of college/university coursework to determine course content and verify that the student has completed required preparatory coursework for the major or college. Many international universities can provide translations in English. If a university cannot, we'll accept a student translation.

UC does not use course evaluations provided by professional credential evaluation agencies. All course evaluations are performed by our international admission specialists.

The application

Scholastic information

On the undergraduate application, students must list all institutions attended, including any schools outside the United States, beginning with the ninth grade, even if the student satisfied or plans to satisfy the UC admission requirements with only U.S. coursework.

Academic history

Students who attended school outside the United States should report their international coursework and grades/marks on the academic history section of the online undergraduate application to the best of their ability, following the instructions provided. They should list all courses attempted and record the grades/marks earned exactly as reported by the international school — whether as numbers, letters, percentages or words.

Freshman applicants

Prospective freshmen who took any external examinations in secondary school (such as GCE Advanced Level, I/GCSE, ICSE, ISC, AISSC or Matriculation Examinations) should list the subjects and marks earned in the examinations rather than the marks assigned by each teacher at the end of the course.

Transfer applicants

Transfer applicants must list hours, credits or units for coursework as noted on their international academic records if their coursework is not reported as quarter or semester units, and record the marks/grades earned exactly as reported by the international school — whether as numbers, letters, percentages or words.

English language proficiency requirement

Freshman and transfer applicants who have completed all of their secondary/high school or college/university education in a country where English is not the language of instruction must demonstrate English proficiency. Review the English proficiency requirement for international students »

Freshman applicants who have completed some high school or secondary school in a country where English was not the language of instruction may also be required to demonstrate English proficiency

Good to know

In the U.S., the academic record is usually referred to as a transcript. In other countries it may be called something else, such as a statement of marks, statement of results, relève du notes, record of learning, or record of achievement.