The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is a series of courses that California community college students can complete to satisfy freshman/sophomore level general education requirements before transferring to most colleges and majors at UC campuses.

If you choose to follow IGETC, we recommend that you complete all the IGETC courses before you transfer. Otherwise you'll need to satisfy the specific freshman/sophomore level general education requirements of your UC college or school.

You can refer to ASSIST or your transfer adviser to make sure your courses satisfy IGETC requirements.

IGETC subject and unit requirement

Subject area

Required courses

Units required

1. English Communication

One course in English composition and one course in critical thinking/English composition. 

2 courses

6 semester units or 8-10 quarter units

2. Mathematical Concepts and Quantitative Reasoning

1 course

3 semester units or 4-5 quarter units

3. Arts and Humanities

Three courses with at least one from the arts and one from the humanities

3 courses

9 semester units or 12-15 quarter units

4. Social and Behavioral Sciences

Three courses from at least two disciplines, or an interdisciplinary sequence

3 courses

9 semester units or 12-15 quarter units

5. Physical and Biological Sciences

One physical science course and one biological science or course, at least one of which includes a laboratory

2 courses

7-9 semester units or 9-12 quarter units

6. Language Other than English *

Proficiency equivalent to two years of high school courses in the same language.




11 courses*

34 semester units


IGETC for STEM is a pattern of courses currently only available to students earning an associate degree for transfer (ADT) at a California community college in a major that explicitly offers IGETC for STEM as an option.

Learn more about IGETC for STEM »

GPA requirement

IGETC courses must be completed with a grade of C or better. A grade of Credit or Pass may be used if the college's policy states it is equivalent to a grade of C or better.

Using AP exams to meet IGETC

IGETC course credit may be earned for scores of 3, 4 or 5 on AP exams. A score of 3, 4 or 5 on an English AP exam may be used to meet the English Composition requirement, but not the Critical Thinking/English Composition requirement. For more information, see Advanced Placement Exams that Satisfy UC Freshmen and Transfer Admission and IGETC Requirements [PDF].


Certification of IGETC completion is the responsibility of the California community college.

Taking IGETC at other community colleges

IGETC coursework does not have to be completed at the same college — courses taken at more than one California community college may be used to fulfill IGETC. Coursework may only be applied in the area or category it was approved for in the IGETC agreement at the community college where it was completed.

Partial IGETC

California community colleges may grant partial certification of IGETC to students who are missing no more than two requirements. Students should verify that their UC school/college/major program will accept partial certification. After transfer, students submitting partial IGETC certification should complete the missing requirements at either UC or a California community college as designated by their department. Students who have been granted partial IGETC certification should not return to the community college for a full certification.