Minimum admissions requirements

Students can become eligible for admission to UC by meeting specific requirements.

The vast majority of our transfer students come to UC at the junior level from California community colleges. But there is a way for sophomore students to gain admission, too.

Junior-level transfer

To be considered for UC admission as a junior, you must fulfill both of the following:

1.  Complete 60 semester (90 quarter) units of transferable college credit with a GPA of at least 2.4 (2.8 if you're a nonresident). No more than 14 semester (21 quarter) units may be taken Pass/Not Pass.

2. Complete the following course pattern requirements, and earn a grade of C or better in each course:

  • Two transferable college courses (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units each) in English composition
  • One transferable college course (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units) in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning;
  • Four transferable college courses (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units each) chosen from at least two of the following subject areas:
    • arts and humanities
    • social and behavioral sciences
    • physical and biological sciences

Each course must be worth at least 3 semester units.

Keep in mind that meeting these requirements does not guarantee admission to the campus or major of your choice. Many campuses and majors receive more applications than they have spaces available. To be competitive, you should work toward meeting the specific requirements for the campuses and majors you're interested in. 

Be sure to use ASSIST to make sure that every course you take is UC-transferable and helps you make progress toward your goals.

Lower-division transfer

While all UC campuses welcome a large pool of junior-level transfers, most admit only a limited number of lower-division transfers.

However, it can happen. Here's how:

  • If you were eligible for admission to UC when you graduated from high school — meaning you satisfied the subject, examination and scholarship requirements — you are eligible for transfer if you have a 2.0 GPA in your transferable college coursework (2.8 GPA for non-residents).
  • If you met the scholarship requirement in high school, but did not satisfy the 15-course subject requirement, you must take transferable college courses in the missing subjects, earn a grade of C or better in each required course and have an overall 2.0 GPA in all transferable coursework to be eligible to transfer (a 2.8 GPA is required for nonresidents). See more information on clearing course deficiencies.

Good to know

Studies prove that community college students who enter UC as juniors perform just as well academically as students who enter UC as freshmen. Their graduation rates are comparable, too. Nearly two-thirds complete a bachelor's degree within three years of entering UC.


Check ASSIST to see if your courses are transferable to UC.