Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum

IGETC is a series of courses that California community college students may complete to satisfy the lower-division breadth/general education requirements at both UC and the California State University.


UC has developed an agreement with each California community college that specifies which of its courses may be applied to each category of IGETC.

If you choose to follow IGETC, you must complete it before you transfer. Otherwise you will be required to satisfy the specific lower-division general education requirements of your UC college or school.

All IGETC coursework does not have to be completed at the same college, and provisions for partial IGETC completion are available. Courses taken at more than one California community college may be used to fulfill IGETC. Coursework may only be applied in the area or category it was approved for in the IGETC agreement at the community college where it was completed.

IGETC is most helpful to students who want to keep their options open — those who know they want to transfer but have not yet decided upon a particular institution, campus or major.

If you have an area of study in mind, visit the Explore Majors section at the ASSIST website and click on prompts to identify the majors for which IGETC is recommended. The major preparation paths also include IGETC guidance for some of UC's most popular majors.

Students in some majors will not be well served by following IGETC. If you intend to transfer into a major that requires extensive lower-division preparation, such as engineering or the biological, physical and natural sciences, you should concentrate on completing the many prerequisites for the major that the college screens for to determine eligibility for admission. See the campus guidance section below for specific recommendations.

IGETC is not an admissions requirement. Completing it is not required, nor does it guarantee admission to the campus or program of choice. However, completing the lower-division breadth/general education requirements  through IGETC or the campus-specific requirements (depending upon the program) — may improve your chances for admission to a competitive campus and/or program.

IGETC subject and unit requirement

Subject area

Required courses

Units required

1. English Communication

One course in English composition and one course in critical thinking/English composition. Students transferring to CSU also must take a course in oral communication.

2 courses

6 semester units or 8-10 quarter units

2. Mathematical Concepts and Quantitative Reasoning

1 course

3 semester units or 4-5 quarter units

3. Arts and Humanities

Three courses with at least one from the arts and one from the humanities

3 courses

9 semester units or 12-15 quarter units

4. Social and Behavioral Sciences

Three courses from at least two disciplines, or an interdisciplinary sequence

3 courses

9 semester units or 12-15 quarter units

5. Physical and Biological Sciences

One physical science course and one biological science or course, at least one of which includes a laboratory

2 courses

7-9 semester units or 9-12 quarter units

6. Language Other than English *

Proficiency equivalent to two years of high school courses in the same language. Not required of students transferring to CSU.




11 courses*

34 semester units


IGETC for STEM is a separate IGETC track currently only available to students planning to major in Chemistry at UC.

Learn more »

GPA requirement

IGETC courses must be completed with a grade of C or better. A grade of Credit or Pass may be used if the community college's policy states it is equivalent to a grade of C or better.

Applying courses and AP exams

An acceptable score on an Advanced Placement (AP) test can be applied to IGETC. To see how these exams can be applied to IGETC certification, please visit

Courses and exams may be used only once to satisfy one IGETC subject area, even if they are listed in your college's course agreements under more than one subject area. The only exception is Language Other Than English (LOTE). Courses may be used to satisfy both IGETC and major requirements.


Only California community colleges may certify completion of IGETC. Certification of IGETC completion is the responsibility of the last California community college you attend prior to transfer (with the exception of summer session), although upon request, a college other than the last one attended may also certify.

International students

If you have completed substantial coursework from institutions outside the United States, consult a counselor to determine whether you should complete IGETC or the lower-division breadth/general education requirements at the campus you plan to attend.

Answers at ASSIST

If you have an area of study in mind, use the Explore Majors feature in ASSIST and click on prompts to identify the majors for which IGETC is recommended.