Transfer credit

With careful planning, you can graduate two years after transferring to UC. The key is taking courses that are acceptable for transfer and meet minimum, major and general education requirements.

Every California community college has an agreement with UC. It's called a transfer course agreement (TCA). The TCA specifies which of its courses receive UC credit.

Plus, your community college and the UC campus you wish to attend may have additional agreements that specify which transferable courses may be used to meet various college (general education or breadth) and major requirements.

Limits on transfer credits

UC awards up to 70 semester (105 quarter) units of credit for lower-division coursework completed at any institution or any combination of institutions. 

See UC's Statement of Transfer Practices [PDF] for more information on transfer credit limitation.

    Military coursework

    Active-duty or veterans of the U.S. military who have completed courses provided by the military (not courses completed at a collegiate institution) should inform UC on the admission application. Students should be prepared to submit official military transcript (e.g. SMART, AARTS, etc.) after enrollment at UC.

    UC may award transfer credit for some of your military courses if the content was equivalent to a course taught at the University.

    Answers at ASSIST

    To learn if your college courses are transferable to UC, visit ASSIST and select your community college. The lists are updated throughout the year, so check ASSIST periodically to ensure you have the most current information.