Other types of transfers

We give highest priority to California community college students transferring as juniors — who make up over 90% of our transfer class. For students from other colleges or students hoping to transfer as a freshman or sophomore, different guidance applies.

Transfers from four-year or out-of-state two-year institutions

To get a general idea of whether your courses will transfer to UC, you can compare them to similar courses in a UC campus catalog or to a transfer course agreement (TCA) that UC has with any California community college. For TCAs, visit ASSIST. A formal evaluation of your transcript most likely will not take place until after you have applied.

You'll still need to meet the same minimum admissions requirements as we have for California community college students, and plan to do as much preparation for your major as possible.

See UC's Statement of Transfer Practices [PDF] for more information

Former and current UC students

Here are some things to keep in mind about transferring to UC if:

  • You previously attended a UC campus during a regular term (fall, winter, spring) and want to transfer back to the same campus or a different campus, or
  • You’re a current UC student looking to transfer to a different UC campus

To be considered for admission, you must be in good academic standing before transferring (2.00 GPA earned the last term and cumulative). If you're not in good academic standing, be sure to contact a college/school advisor at the UC campus you attended or are attending to learn how to improve your academic standing.

All courses completed, and grades and units earned at a UC campus during fall, winter, spring and summer terms are transferable to another UC campus (however, some UC Extension courses may not be transferable). This means the UC GPA "follows" you to another UC campus.

If you’re transferring from a regionally accredited college/university, your units or credits are generally transferable if a course is comparable to one offered at a UC campus (see the section above).

Lower-division transfers

Some campuses admit a limited number of transfer students before they reach junior standing. Check for closed majors to learn if a UC campus will accept applications from second bachelor’s degree or limit status applicants.

Second baccalaureate and Limited status

A second baccalaureate applicant is a college graduate who wishes to obtain a second bachelor's degree in a major different from that of the first degree.

A limited status applicant — frequently known as a non-degree-seeking student — is held to the same restrictions as applicants pursuing a second B.A. or B.S. degree.

Check for closed majors to learn if a UC campus will accept applications from second bachelor’s degree or limit status applicants.

Campus catalogs

Look at the campus catalogs to compare UC courses with those at your college.