About applying online
We strongly encourage you to take your time filling out the application.
Be sure to have all the information you need close at hand. Review your responses and check for accuracy.
Still, we know mistakes can happen. If after applying you discover an error, you can make changes to your application.
What you'll need
It's a good idea to have everything prepared before you start your application so you're not trying to track down information at the last minute.
Here's what you'll need:
- Transcripts. You don't need to submit your transcripts to UC at this point, but you must refer to them as you fill out the application to ensure the information you enter is accurate.
- Test scores. If you're a freshman or sophomore applicant, you'll have to include your scores from the ACT Plus Writing or the SAT Reasoning Test. (If you're applying for fall, be sure to complete these tests by December.) All applicants should report scores for any SAT Subject Tests, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, TOEFL or IELTS exams they have taken.
- Annual income for 2011 and 2012 (your parents' if you're a dependent; your income if you're independent.) This is optional unless you're applying for a fee waiver or for the Educational Opportunity Program.
- Social Security number, if you have one. We use this to match your application to things like your test score report, final transcript(s) and, if you're applying for financial aid, your Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
- Citizenship status. You must enter your country of citizenship (or "No Selection"). If your country of citizenship is outside the United States, you'll need to provide your immigration status and your visa type.
- California Statewide Student ID (optional). Each K-12 student in California public schools is assigned an ID number. If it's not printed on your transcript, ask your counselor or registrar.
- Credit card. If you prefer to pay by check, you can mail your payment.
Remember, you shouldn't submit letters of recommendation for the UC application. However, some campuses or majors may require letters of recommendation as part of a supplemental application review, so be sure to check your email and respond in a timely manner.
The UC online application functions with versions of Firefox, Internet Explorer 8 or higher, Chrome 6 or higher and Safari 5 or higher. You can download one of these browsers from the list below.
Because it's important to protect the information you provide, the online application is extremely secure — so secure, in fact, that older browsers are not equipped to handle our level of encryption. Please download one of the browser versions listed above to ensure maximum security.
If students have a question about the application process, call the application center at (800) 207-1710 (within the U.S.) or (661) 336-5723 (outside the U.S.) during normal business hours, or e-mail email@example.com.